Marriage License Q&A

1. How do we apply for our marriage license?

You must apply for your Marriage License together, in-person, between 60 days and 24 hours before signing. You may obtain your license from any City Clerk's office in New York City or any clerks office in New York State.

2. Do we need a witness for our ceremony?

You need at least one witness who is over the age of 18 to sign your license. You may have up to two

3. Who submits the signed Marriage License to the Clerk's Office after our ceremony?

Once all necessary parties have signed your Marriage License, your officiant will take the license, make a copy and mail it to the Clerk's Office in the envelope that the Clerk's Office gave you when you were issued the license.

4. How soon after our wedding can we expect to receive our marriage certificate?

The City Clerk’s office states that it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks for your Marriage Certificate to be processed and returned. 

 5. What if we need our Marriage Certificate sooner than 6 to 8 weeks?

Just one of you may take your signed  license back to to the City Clerk's Office, on the next working business day and you will be issued your certificate on the spot

6. What if my marriage certificate gets lost?

We will track it down. We have never had a license get lost under our care.

7. We are from a foreign country - how do we make sure our marriage is legally recognized back home?

New York City wedding elopements are no strangers to us.  Before traveling to New York to get married, please remember to contact the authorities in your home country and confirm what you'll need in terms of documentation so that your marriage is recognized in your country. Once you know what is required by your own government, you'll know what questions to ask the Clerk's Office when you apply for your Marriage License and what steps are necessary to get the documents that you'll need! A great place to start is the City Clerks website where, under the heading "Fees," you'll find information regarding how to obtain an Extended Marriage Certificate and Apostille in person. In addition, you'll find information on how to request an Extended Marriage Certificate by mail under the heading "Marriage Records Request by Mail". If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to call the City Clerk's Office directly to be sure you know how to obtain whatever is necessary to make your marriage legal in your own country.

Or contact them by phone:

  • Manhattan 212-669-2208

  • Bronx 718-590-5307

  • Brooklyn 718-802-4107

  • Queens 718-286-2829

  • Staten Island 718-816-2290

More information may be found at the City Clerk Website